My name is Caitlyn Smith. In 2020 I graduated from the Australian Catholic University, Canberra Campus, with my bachelor’s degree in Education (primary and early childhood). In 2021 I moved to the beautiful remote community of Yuendumu in the Northern Territory where I taught Preschool and Kindergarten. I had a wonderful experience learning from the Indigenous community and it’s something I will hold very close to my heart for the rest of my life. I am extremely excited to be moving again to a new part of the world and discovering more about the community of Hay.
I am very excited about moving to Hay and having a wonderful year teaching the beautiful children of Years 2,3, and 4. I can promise there will be lots of respect, laughter, joy, kindness, hard work and positive learning in our classroom as I believe those are the keys to a successful and positive education.
5 Fast facts about me:
1) When I was 14, I got my black belt in Taekwondo.
2) The only job I’ve ever wanted is to be a teacher, apart from my dreams of being a famous singer (which thankfully for your ears was never meant to be!).
3) My laugh is always funnier than a joke, and you can hear it from a mile away!
4) One of my favourite memories is the day I went digging for Yarla, (bush potato), participated in a traditional Indigenous ceremony and then watched the most breathtaking sunset on top of a hill with all of the children. IT WAS AMAZING.
5) I have taught in Nepal. While I was there, I trekked part of the Himalayas. You can see pictures of me in action here!
I can’t wait to have a wonderful year in 2022 at St Mary’s. I am so blessed to come to Hay and I can’t wait to see the children thrive.